Seremban was originally founded as Sungei Ujong (or Sungai Ujong), named after a nearby river of the same name. While the town was renamed Seremban thereafter, the Sungai Ujong name most prominently persists as a street name for a road adjoining the southern side of town (Sungai Ujong Road, or Jalan Sungai Ujong).

Sungei Ujong 1878-95

Sungei Ujong: SU, S.U., S. UJONG (overprint on stamps of Strait Settlements), – Sultanat unter britischem Schutz – 1895 erfolgt der Anschluß an das Sultanat Negeri Sembilan ISSUES of the QUEEN VICTORIA REIGN (September 1874 – October 1895)