Pertabalan Yang Di-Pertuan Agong (Sultan Iskandar Al-Haj)
His Royal Highness Sultan Iskandar Al-Haj ibni Almarhum Sultan Ismal D.K., the Sultan of Johor, was appointed as the 8th Yang di-Pertuan Agong (The Paramount Ruler of Malaysia) by the 129th Conference of Rulers on the 9th February, 1984 and sworn in as the Duli Yang Maha Mulia Seri Paduka Baginda Yang di-Pertuan Agong on 28th April 1984.
His Majesty, the eldest son of Almarhum Sultan Ismail ibni Almarhum Sultan Ibrahim and Almarhumah Sultanah Aminah binti Ungku Ahmad, was born on 8th April, 1932 at Istana Semayam, Johor Bahru.
His Majesty was educated at the Ngee Heng (English) Primary School in Johor Bahru and later attended the English College (Maktab Sultan Abu Bakar). His Majesty continued his education at the Trinity Grammar School in Australia and also in the United Kingdom. He also underwent military training and is the Commandant of the Johor Military Forces holding the rank of Brigadier-General.
Upon his return from overseas studies, His Majesty was attached to the Johor Civil service from 25th January, 1956 to 8th May, 1959. During this period, His Majesty gained a great deal of experience in the field of administration during his postings at the District Office, the Land Office, the State Secretariat, the State Forest Office and the Treasury.
His Majesty, who is married to Her Majesty Sultanah Hajah Zanariah binti Tengku Ahmad, ascended the throne of Johor on 11th May, 1981 as the Sultan of Johor succeeding his late father.
His Majesty has 10 children, 2 sons and 8 daughters
As religious leader of the State of Johor, His Majesty has close connections with the State Religious Council. His Majesty has always given close attention to Islam in the State.
His Majesty is a sympathetic man and has made numerous contributions to welfare homes and victims of floods and other such tragedies to offer his personal consilation and contribution. His sympathetic nature towardds the welfare of his people has earned him much respect. HisMajesty ist he patron of several welfare organisations in Johor.
His Majesty ist he Chancelor of University Technology Malaysia.
His Majesty is the holder of:
1. Darjah Kerabat Johor Yang Amat Dihormati Pangkat Pertama (D.K.)
2. Darjah Mahkota Johor Yang Amat Mulia Pangkat Yang Pertama Dato´Seri Paduka Mahkota Johor
3. Darjah Pertama – Dato´ Seri Setia Sultan Ismail Johor (S.S.I.J.)
4. Pingat Ibrahim Sultan Pangkat Pertama (P.I.S.)
5. Bintang Sultan Ismail Pangkat Pertama (B.S.I.)
His Majesty has also been awarded the following awards and decorations:
1. Darjah Kerabat Brunei (D.K. Brunei) – (1972)
2. Darjah Seri Paduka Darjah Kinabalu (S.P.D.K.) – (1972)
3. Order of St. John – (1980)
4. Darjah Kerabat Terengganu (D.K. Terengganu) – (1982)
5. Darjah Kerabat Perak (D.K. Perak) – (1983)
6. Darjah Kerabat Perlis (D.K. Perlis) – (1984)
7. Darjah Kerabat Kelantan (D.K. Kelantan) – (1984)